As long as we’re hooked up to city water, we’ll always have a filter on our kitchen tap and one on our shower. While you might be fortunate enough to live in a town where they don’t fluoridate the water supply, we haven’t yet heard of a place that doesn’t chlorinate it.
Auckland water, for instance, is fluoridated & chlorinated, as well as brominated for good measure. ‘Is that a bad thing?’, one might ask. Well, we think so!
And here is why:
- elevated bromide levels have been implicated in every thyroid disease known;
- is known to suppress men & women’s sex drive;
- Potassium bromate added to commercial bread and water supplies has been linked to increases in kidney cancer (Farrow, 2011);
- bromine toxicity can manifest with fatigue, metallic taste, skin rashes, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, cherry angiomas and cardiac arrhythmia;
- is known to cause depression, memory loss, hallucinations, seizures, tremors, confusion, loss of peripheral vision, photophobia, ataxia, slurred speech, lethargy, headache, heart damage and ptosis;
- Bromine is not only added to the water supply, but can be found in a huge range of products, for example: many commercial bread & baked goods, brominated vegetable oils, certain asthma inhalers, prescription drugs, citrus flavored soft drinks, pesticides, chemtrails, plastics, fabric dyes, new clothing, polyurethane, curtains, foam, some personal care products, fire retardants, including those in mattresses & new clothing, furniture, carpeting, computers, radios, tvs, electronics, synthetic building materials, packaging & insulation material, and car interiors.
- ingestion has been implicated in cases of eczema, atopic dermatitis, headache and gastric distress, allergies, immune suppression and asthma;
- prematurely ages the body by disrupting DNA repair enzymes. When DNA can’t repair damaged cells, we get biologically older quicker;
- this results in disrupted collagen synthesis and thus collagen breakdown, skin wrinkling, tissue damage, immune suppression and genetic damage;
- as little as 1 part per million is all that is required for these collagen damaging effects to occur (Yiamouyiannis, 1993).
Dr. Dean Burk (2012), co-founder of the U.S. National Cancer Institute and former head of NCI Research eventually realized that fluoride was a major carcinogen and publicly declared that mass water fluoridation “amounts to public murder on a grand scale, it is a public crime, it would be, to put fluoride in the drinking water of people”.
Chlorinated & brominated water has been linked to eczema, allergies, destruction of protein, respiratory problems including asthma, heart disease, high blood pressure, and hypothyroid disease (Cousens, 2005).
So, that’s plenty motivation for us to have installed a shower filter and a counter-top tap water filter which filter out the brunt (but NOT all) of these particular halogens. We used to filter our water with a small reverse osmosis filter, but it doesn’t seem to work very well, as the water still stinks of chlorine :-(. Can’t wait for the day that we’re not reliant on city water anymore!!
We find a shower filter very important, because
- It is touted by many water filtration companies (yup, vested interest, but still…) that one can absorb approximately 8 glasses of chlorinated water in one 10 minute shower.
- Aquasana, one brand of filters (not the one we use, for no particular reason), claims that ‘the steam we inhale while showering can contain up to 20 times the level of chlorine and other synthetic chemicals than tap water. This is because these toxic chemicals found in tap water vaporize at lower temperatures and at a much faster rate than water’
Cousens, G. (2005). Spiritual Nutrition (second edition). Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books
Yiamouyiannis, J. (1993) Fluoride- The aging Factor. Delaware, OH: Health Action Press
*Other references are included in the form of links embedded in the text.